IDEA is actively recruiting and accepting applications for interns. We seek applicants who want experience working with educational research, consulting, community organizing, social media, communications, development and/or non-profit administration.
Interns are distinguished from general volunteers as follows:
- The intern position is a 20 to 40 hour per week commitment over at least 12 weeks.
- Interns are treated professionally, like paid staff in many regards, but with an explicit commitment to support intern learning through additional mentoring and supervision. Professional development is a primary focus.
IDEA uses 2.0 technology to work across the U.S. Interns must be comfortable with technology and be able to learn and contribute from any location and work independently from home.
- Initiate your own learning and problem-solving
- Prioritize multiple competing tasks
- Participate in weekly staff phone meetings (90 minutes per week)
- Act in accordance with and support of the mission and objectives of IDEA
- Show a willingness to hear and give feedback about performance & operations
IDEA needs interns with interests in these areas:
- Curation – Assist in identifying and showcasing the “bright spots” in innovative educational practice, policy, and assessment.
- Marketing and Communications – Help IDEA communicate its message internally and externally through social media, website management, and permission marketing.
- Development – Gain experience in fundraising, grant writing, and developing earned income projects.
- Administration– Gain entry-level experience in basic project management, human resources, and financial management.
Interns will be provided with:
- Weekly mentoring from a dedicated staff mentor.
- Professional preparation for employment in similar settings.
- Support to develop and implement a learning contract to make the most of their internship.
- Room to grow, make mistakes, and thrive.
- Upon completion of the internship, a letter documenting the skills gained and contributions made.
Send a brief cover letter along with a current resume and two references electronically to Jeanette Miller, at admin AT democraticeducation.org. Interns may apply on an ongoing basis.